School of Education - George Mason University

Earn both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in as little as five years.

Qualified undergraduates may be admitted to a Bachelor’s/Accelerated Master’ program and obtain both a BA or BS in any degree area and an MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in Early Childhood Education for Diverse Learners within an accelerated time frame. Students meeting the qualifications listed below may be admitted to this program following completion of 90 undergraduate credits. They may then take 12 graduate credits within their senior year (i.e., six credits will partially satisfy requirements of both the BA or BS degree and the MEd in Curriculum and Instruction; six credits will be completed as reserve graduate credit toward the Master’s only). If students earn at least 3.0 in these classes, they are granted advanced standing in the master’s program and, upon completion of the bachelor’s degree, must then take an additional 18 credits to earn the master’s degree.

Students may apply for acceptance to the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's program if the following requirements are met:

  • An overall GPA of at least 3.0

Application Procedures:

  1. Visit the Accelerated Master's admissions webpage for a step-by-step guide to applying and access the online application.
  2. The recommendation field within the online application is your undergraduate academic advisor. This will serve as the official signature from your undergraduate academic advisor approving your eligibility into the program.
  3. Complete the application and submit. Once you submit your application, you can upload any supplementary materials such as recommendations, resume, goals statement and endorsement worksheets.

After completing 120 credits and all requirements for the BA or BS degree and filing the Graduation Intent Form, students are awarded a bachelor’s degree and admitted to the MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in Early Childhood Education for Diverse Learners program.

Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's student may complete up to 12 credits of ECED courses in their senior year. These courses are considered advanced standing for the M.Ed. A minimum grade of B must be earned to be eligible to count as advanced standing. The other two courses are taken as reserve graduate credit and do not apply to the undergraduate degree. Early in their final undergraduate semester, students must submit the Bachelor’s/Accelerated Master’s Transition Form to the CEHD Admissions Office and specify which of the four courses are to be designated as advanced standing and reserve graduate credit.

For a sampling of course work required for the Master's please see MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, Concentration in Early Childhood Education for Diverse Learners. Undergraduates are required to speak to an Early Childhood Education advisor prior to enrolling in master’s level courses.

Register for an information session to learn more about the program options and opportunities.

Students who wish to qualify for a Virginia Teaching License in the areas of Early Childhood Special Education (Birth-Age 5) or Early/Primary Education PreK-3 must also formally enroll in a Graduate Certificate Program in conjunction with the MEd. Students may use their certificate coursework to fulfill the elective credits for the MEd degree program. Students will be subject to the. Students will be subject to the Admissions Requirements of the respective Graduate Certificate Program.

Licensure Disclosure

This program has been identified by George Mason University as one that may lead to a career requiring professional licensure/certification. Federal regulations require Mason to disclose information as to whether this program meets/does not meet the educational requirements for licensure/certification in your state, or whether such a determination has not been made. Please consult our Licensure Disclosure Tool for the disclosure statement specific to your desired state/program combination.

George Mason University will verify completion of the requirements of a Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) state-approved preparation program at the graduate or undergraduate level. Such verification does not guarantee the issuance of a Virginia Collegiate Professional, Postgraduate Professional, or Pupil Personnel license from the Commonwealth of Virginia. It is solely the student's responsibility to comply with all requirements for licensure by the Commonwealth. Under Virginia law, a social security number is required for licensure.