Graduate Certificate - Early Childhood Education - PK-3 Licensure
Early Childhood educators understand the importance of developing children's minds and preparing them for the future.
This 33-credit hour certificate offers required coursework for teacher licensure in Early Childhood Education PK-3. Students who have completed graduate or undergraduate coursework prior to admission to this graduate certificate program may request that courses in this program be waived based on prior coursework. Students who are eligible to waive coursework must complete a minimum of 15 credits to graduate with the Early Childhood Education PK-3 Graduate Certificate. Students must earn a B- or better in all coursework.
For policies governing all graduate certificates, see the Academic Policies section of this catalog. The graduate certificate in early childhood education PK-3 (licensure) may be pursued on a part-time or fulltime basis.
This certificate program qualifies for Title IV Federal Financial Aid. For more information about program graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our disclosure information page at https://irr2.gmu.edu/gedt/Early_Childhood_Education_PK_3/Gedt.html.
Early Childhood Education - PK-3 Licensure Graduate Certificate Course Work
- ECED 502: Foundations of Language and Literacy for Diverse Prekindergarten and Kindergarten Learners (3 credit hours)
- ECED 503: Inclusive Curriculum for Young Learners: Planning Instruction and Guidance (3 credit hours)
- ECED 504: Engaging Families of Diverse Young Learners (3 credit hours)
- ECED 511: Assessment of Diverse Young Learners (3 credit hours)
- ECED 512: Language and Literacy Assessment and Instruction for Diverse Primary Grade Learners (3 credit hours)
- ECED 513: Integrating Social Studies Across the Content Areas for Diverse Young Learners (3 credit hours)
- ECED 515: Mathematics for Diverse Young Learners (3 credit hours)
- ECED 516: Science for Diverse Young Learners (3 credit hours)
Select one from the following:
- ECED 790: Internship with Diverse Preschool Children AND ECED 795: Internship in Kindergarten - Third Grade (Must register for 3 credits)
Field experience may be required throughout the program.
Two internships are required for teacher licensure. One preschool and one K-3 internship are required. Application deadlines are February 15 for fall placement; September 15 for spring placement. Internship applications are available as is additional information about the Early Childhood Education for Diverse Learners Program.