Our Education Leadership graduates are making a difference in leadership positions in education and policy at the community, school, district, state, and national levels.
The Master’s degree in Education Leadership is designed to prepare candidates for leadership and management positions in a variety of educational settings. This program emphasizes an understanding of the complexities of change in schools, communities, and organizations. Participants develop and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to create and maintain learning environments that value diversity, continual knowledge acquisition, instructional leadership, innovative and ethical decision making, reflective practice, and successful achievement of all students.
Learning opportunities are presented in large and small group discussions, on-the-job training, case studies, lectures, scenarios, simulations, problem-based activities, and internship experiences which are integrated into the course work.
Education Leadership at George Mason University
With a degree in Education Leadership from George Mason University, you can join the more than 50 percent of all Northern Virginia Education Administrators who are graduates of Mason. Hear how other teachers have taken advantage of Mason’s flexible online/onsite cohort options to advance their careers, and lead the policy and curriculum development that can improve the lives of students in their districts.
Who should apply?
Ideal candidates are interested in pursuing school or district level administration positions as instructional leaders and...
- Are invested in improving instruction and student achievement
- Are self-directed and focused on connecting theory to practice
- Are prepared to engage in scholarly and professional dialogue through collaboration
- Are committed to life-long learning
- Are willing to embrace a disposition for advocacy, integrity, intellectual curiosity, and responsibility for one’s own learning
Why choose George Mason?
- Mason’s Education Leadership program is supported by a large faculty, comprised of professors with impressive backgrounds as researchers, entrepreneurs, and current and former district level leaders, such as superintendents and principals. Each has a genuine interest in developing your potential to positively impact PK-12 student learning.
- A selective admissions process means you’ll learn alongside colleagues who are experienced, high-performing educators. Your fellow students will become part of a professional network that lasts a lifetime.
- The Education Leadership program is nationally recognized by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC).
- The program includes all coursework required for Virginia licensure in Administration and Supervision PK-12.
- The MEd and graduate certificate programs are highly flexible, offered in both hybrid and entirely online formats, to accommodate almost any schedule and diverse learning preferences. The MEd program has been structured to allow most students to complete it within two years.
- Mason is a great value, with in-state graduate tuition among the lowest of comparable institutions.