School of Education - George Mason University

In addition to the teacher candidacy capstone course, students also have the opportunity for five practical learning experiences in schools. These experiences are central to a student's professional growth and development.

Applying for BSEd Status

BSEd status identifies the student as a teacher candidate. This status must be obtained in order to complete the BSEd Physical Education Degree; in addition, certain courses in the curriculum are restricted to those with BSEd status only.

When students initially declare a major in Health and Physical Education, their status is Pre-Bachelor or BPRE. They must successfully complete certain courses, exams, and the appropriate application form to be admitted to the BSEd Status.

Requirements to change status from BPRE to BSEd:

Four Year Students

Transfer Students

Students with a Degree

Once those requirements are completed, all students need to:

  • Complete the Application for BSEd Status
  • Obtain a copy of transcripts from Patriot Web
  • Attach a copy of the VCLA Scores
  • Attach a statement of two pages, typed and double-spaced describing (a) experiences working with children, (b) career goals in education, and (c) reflection on their professional development experiences.
  • Attach Professional Development Plan
Licensure Disclosure

This program has been identified by George Mason University as one that may lead to a career requiring professional licensure/certification. Federal regulations require Mason to disclose information as to whether this program meets/does not meet the educational requirements for licensure/certification in your state, or whether such a determination has not been made. Please consult our Licensure Disclosure Tool for the disclosure statement specific to your desired state/program combination.

George Mason University will verify completion of the requirements of a Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) state-approved preparation program at the graduate or undergraduate level. Such verification does not guarantee the issuance of a Virginia Collegiate Professional, Postgraduate Professional, or Pupil Personnel license from the Commonwealth of Virginia. It is solely the student's responsibility to comply with all requirements for licensure by the Commonwealth. Under Virginia law, a social security number is required for licensure.