Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Students study the latest research-based curriculum relative to biomechanics, physiology and health and wellness principles in state of the art facilities across campus.
The B.S.Ed. Health and Physical Education 120-credit degree program is approved by the Virginia Department of Education. Completing this degree fulfills requirements for licensure in Health and Physical Education (PK-12) in Virginia.
Pre-PHED Status (BPRE): Students entering as freshmen majoring in physical education will initially be accepted with Pre-PHED (BPRE) status until requirements are met to be accepted into the program, this is referred to as BSEd Status.
To apply for BSEd status:
- Submit Application. Applications should be submitted while completing your Third Year Fall courses
- Pass BIOL 124, and BIOL 125
- Pass with a C or better in PHED 202.
- Complete a minimum of 45 Credits
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better
- Submit passing scores in Assessments for Teacher Licensure (click for details)
- Earn at least 10 Professional Points
Students complete a student teaching experience in their final semester.
Mason Core Requirements (38 credits)
- Written communication (6)
- Oral Communication (3)
- Information Technology (3)
- Quantitative Reasoning (3) (Math 106 recommended)
- Arts (3)
- Global Understanding (3)
- Literature (3)
- Natural Science (8) Must take BIOL 124 and BIOL 125
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (3)
- Western Civilization/World History (3)
- Synthesis/Capstone, met by PHED 415, a program requirement
Professional Sequence (82 credits):
Students should carefully read the 'Notes' section at the end of this description before registering for courses listed below. Courses must be taken concurrently
First Year Fall Semester
- HEAL 110: Personal Health (3 credits)
- PHED 202: Teaching Skillful Movement (3 credits)
- PHED 275: Field and Invasion Games (3 credits)
First Year Spring Semester
- BIOL 124: Human Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits)
- HEAL 200: School and Community Safety (1 credit)
- PHED 273: Net and Target Games (3 credits)
- PHED 274: Dance and Educational Gymnastics (3 credits)
First Year Summer
- Pass VCLA.
Second Year Fall Semester
- ATEP 300: Functional Anatomy (3 credits)
- BIOL 125: Human Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits)
- EDUC 302: Human Growth and Development (3 credits)
- PHED 276: Health-Related Fitness Education (3 credits)
- PRLS 316: Leadership and Outdoor Education (3 credits)
Second Year Spring Semester
- HEAL 250: Introduction to School Health (3 credits)
- KINE 310: Exercise Physiology I (3 credits)
- PHED 218: Technology in Health and Physical Education (3 credits)
- PHED 320: Student Assessment in Health and Physical Education (3 credits)
Third Year Fall Semester - Must obtain BSEd Status by end of Semester
- PHED 306: Psychomotor Learning (3 credits)
Third Year Spring Semester
- EDRD 300: Literacy and Curriculum Integration (3 credits)
- PHED 340: Social and Cultural Issues in Physical Education (3 credits)
- PHED 403: Elementary School Instruction in Physical Education (3 credits)
Fourth Year Fall Semester
- Student Teaching Application Due by Sep 1st for Spring placement and Feb 1st for Fall Placement
- HEAL 405: Teaching Methods in Health Education (K-12) (3 credits)
- PHED 308: Adapted Physical Education (3 credits)
- PHED 404: Middle and High School Instruction in Physical Education (3 credits)
Fourth Year Spring Semester
- PHED 415: Student Teaching in Physical Education (12 credits) (Must take 12 credits *)
Student Teaching Internship
To enroll in PHED 415 - Student Teaching in Physical Education, physical education majors must:
- have a minimum 2.50 GPA in the last 60 credits of course work;
- have passed and electronically submitted test scores for the VCLA and PRAXIS II exams to George Mason University and provide a paper copy of the test scores to the internship coordinator;
- have satisfactorily completed all required Mason core and professional concentration courses. The application must be completed one full semester before taking PHED 415.
Application deadlines are listed below and forms are located at Student Teaching and Field Experience.
Student Teaching Internship Application Deadlines:
- Fall Semester—February 1
- Spring Semester—September 1
Students are not permitted to enroll in HEAL 405, PHED 308, PHED 403, PHED 404, and PHED 415 until they have met all BSEd application requirements.
A grade of C or better is required in the following courses: PHED 202, PHED 308, PHED 403, PHED 404 and HEAL 405.
Students must complete student teaching (PHED 415) within 5 years of completing PHED 202. If more than five years have elapsed between taking PHED 202 and student teaching (PHED 415), students will have to retake PHED 202 before they can student teach.
Students must earn at least 10 professional developments points to achieve BSEd status and 20 additional points to apply for student teaching. Professional developments points may be earned by attending or volunteering at various events and activities.
Additionally, students will be expected to achieve and maintain the healthy zone of health-related fitness as measured by FitnessGram® throughout their program. Accommodations will be made for students with documented physical disabilities.
Our program requires multiple field experiences, and our school and agency partners require Mason students to be fingerprinted and pass a criminal background check prior to field experience work. Students must assume the risk that classes may be deferred and their program delayed due to the individual severity of notations on such a check and review by individual agencies.