Skip top navigation
School of Education - George Mason University

What types of students apply?

The students in the program embody a diverse population with a wide range of undergraduate backgrounds and work experiences. Many (but not all) of our students include:

  • Corporate training professionals who want to increase their knowledge of educational constructs and technology delivery methods in order to improve their efforts in designing and delivering instruction and/or training in a corporate environment.
  • Multimedia or Web-based designers or developers who are working in the field of instructional technology and want to expand their knowledge of learning theory and systematic instructional design processes to more effectively apply these constructs to development of multimedia and Web-based products.
  • K-12 teachers who want to broaden their knowledge of development of technology-based teaching materials or want to expand their career opportunities beyond the K-12 environment while still capitalizing on their knowledge of teaching and learning.
  • Who should I contact for academic advising before applying to the program?

    Learning Design and Technology Program and e-Learning Graduate Certificate Program:
    Academic Program Coordinator, Dr. Shahron Williams van Rooij at

    Learning Technologies in Schools (LTS) Program:
    Co-Academic Program Coordinators, Dr. Dawn Hathaway at and Dr. Jered Borup at

    PhD in Education - Learning Technologies Design Research Specialization:
    Dr. Dawn Hathaway at

    Are there any scholarship and financial aid opportunities?

    Please check this page periodically for updated CEHD scholarship opportunities or visit Mason Office of Student Financial Aid Scholarships page.

    Are there any Veteran Education Benefits?

    Once a student has applied for benefits and registered for classes they will need to submit a Veteran Registration Reporting Form (VRRF) to the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar will then issue a Verification of Enrollment (VA Form 22-1999) via VA ONCE to inform the VA that the student is enrolled at Mason and requesting education benefits. For more information regarding the veteran enrollment certification process at Mason, please visit the Office of Military Services.

    What should I do coming in as an international student?

    To apply for graduate admissions, please view International Graduate Requirements. Also, please contact the Office of International Programs and Services (OIPS). OIPS team advises international students on compliance with US immigration law and regulations. In addition to advising, the OIPS team endorses forms, recommends and approves immigration benefits, and processes document requests.