Mason-Amazon Teacher Externship
Are you a STEM teacher looking for a way to inspire students and help prepare them for the future?
Consider joining the George Mason University-Amazon Teacher Externship Program!
About the Program
George Mason University is partnering with Amazon to provide paid externship experience for STEM and computer science teachers so they can experience first-hand what computing careers might look like for their students. Through their Amazon externships, and a companion graduate level project-based learning course, participating teachers can improve their computing skills and enhance how they teach computer science to students in order to spark students’ interests in computing careers.
Who Can Apply?
Open to all public middle and high school science, technology, engineering, math, and Career and Technology Education teachers (grades 6-12) in Virginia, DC, and Maryland. Preference will be given to teachers who are interested in teaching computer science classes or becoming licensed to teach computer science, and teachers who are interested in integrating computer science into their instruction. Educators can apply individually or in teams of two from their school. Each applicant should submit their own application and indicate that you are applying as part of a team.
What Will I Do?
Each participant will:
- Complete a 5-week paid externship at Amazon in the summer of 2021
- Take a 3-credit hour course at George Mason University during the summer of 2021 (participants will get 3 graduate credit hours at no cost to them)
- Have the option of participating in a free workshop to prepare to take the Praxis Exam to become licensed to teach computer science
- Participate in a Professional Learning Community during the 2021-2022 academic year
- Participate in surveys, interviews, and observations as requested
How Will I Be Compensated?
Participants who complete all parts of the program will receive a $6,500 stipend, 3 graduate credit hours from George Mason University, and a free workshop to prepare to take the Praxis Exam to become licensed to teach Computer Science.
Interested in applying to the George Mason-Amazon Teacher Externship Program?
- Apply here
- Application opens: January 4, 2021
- Application deadline: February 1, 2021
- Program run date: TBD
Applications are competitive and you will be notified in the spring of 2021 if you’ve been selected for an interview.
What Do I Need to Include in My Application?
You will be asked to answer some questions about yourself and create a 3-minute video explaining:
- Your passion for equity in STEM and computer science education
- Your interest in teaching computer science in the future if you do not already teach computer science
- Why you are interested in the GMU-Amazon Teacher Externship Program
Still have questions?Review our FAQs.
Shanika Hope serves as principal of Amazon’s flagship program, Amazon Future Engineers, and will collaborate with George Mason faculty in the Amazon externship program.