Special Education: General (Add-on)
This certificate is designed for elementary and secondary education teachers who wish to add a grade-level endorsement in Special Education - General Curriculum.
Coursework provides knowledge and skills for working with students with disabilities, and meets Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) requirements for teachers endorsed in elementary education (such as early/primary education preK-3 or elementary education preK-6) or in English, history and social sciences, mathematics, biology, chemistry, Earth science, or physics to add a grade level endorsement in special education: general curriculum.
Add-on Endorsement in Special Education: General Curriculum Graduate Certificate
- EDSE 501: Introduction to Special Education (3 credits)
- EDSE 544: Adapted Instructional Methods and Transition for Secondary Learners (3 credits) OR EDSE 627: Assessment (3 credits) (*)
- EDSE 643: Instructional Strategies for Math (3 credits)
- EDSE 662: Consultation and Collaboration (3 credits)
- EDCI 790: Internship in Education (1 credit)
* Note: Students seeking to add an endorsement to an elementary license must take EDSE 627 Assessment. All others must take EDSE 544 Adapted Instructional Methods and Transition for Secondary Learners.
Total Credits: 16
The certificate coursework can apply toward a Master's in Special Education or Master’s in Advanced Studies in Teaching and Learning with a Special Education concentration. Click here for a chart showing overlap in coursework of the licensure certificate and MEd. Students interested in pursuing a Master’s degree with the certificate should apply to the Master’s program and consult an advisor.
The majority of coursework is offered in a face-to-face format at the Fairfax campus.
Virginia Educator Discount: A 15% discount off the university’s approved tuition rate is available for qualifying in-state graduate students who are educators in Virginia.
This program has been identified by George Mason University as one that may lead to a career requiring professional licensure/certification. Federal regulations require Mason to disclose information as to whether this program meets/does not meet the educational requirements for licensure/certification in your state, or whether such a determination has not been made. Please consult our Licensure Disclosure Tool for the disclosure statement specific to your desired state/program combination.