Curriculum and Instruction, MEd Concentration in ASTL: Spanish
Foreign language teachers understand the intricacies of language, and how vocabulary is absorbed and leads to language competency. They also understand the best ways to teach students, and the difficulties students encounter during language acquisition.
The Spanish language concentration provides advanced professional development and language study for practicing foreign language teachers. The 18 credits include a combination of modern language courses and targeted electives.
The ASTL concentrations are for teachers and other educators with one or more years of teaching or education-related experience who want to continue to grow professionally. The program offers advanced study in a specific concentration area, including Virginia's Standards of Learning content areas, cohort classes, an innovative schedule, and the use of technology. The courses, aligned with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, help teachers think and practice as board-certified teachers. The program develops teacher-leaders who practice reflection through action-research, problem-based learning, and self-inquiry, and teacher expertise in a concentration that will identify the teacher as a potential leader in that area.
Experienced teachers with or without a master's degree may apply for the ASTL Master's Degree program, which includes 18 credits in the Concentration area and 12 credits in the education Core.
Core Courses (12 credits)
- EDUC 606: Education and Culture (3 credits)
- EDUC 612: Inquiry into Practice (2 credits)
- EDUC 613: How Students Learn (3 credits)
- EDUC 614: Designing and Assessing Teaching and Learning (2 credits)
- EDUC 615: Educational Change (2 credits)
Concentration Courses in Spanish (18 credits)
Required Courses (6 credits)
- SPAN 502: Hispanic Sociolinguistics (3 credits)
*Select 12 credits from the following:
- SPAN 501: Applied Spanish Grammar (3 credits)
- SPAN 512: Mass Media and Popular Culture (3 credits)
- SPAN 520: Studies in Medieval Spanish Literature (3 credits)
- SPAN 525: Studies in Renaissance Literature (3 credits)
- SPAN 540: Studies in 20th-Century Literature (3 credits)
- SPAN 545: Studies in Hispanic Literature (3 credits)
- SPAN 551: Special Topics in Spanish (3 credits)
- SPAN 560: Studies in Spanish American Poetry (3 credits)
- SPAN 565: Studies in Spanish American Drama (3 credits)
- SPAN 570: Language Politics and Policy (3 credits)
- SPAN 576: Advanced Translation (3 credits)
- SPAN 580: Contemporary Hispanic Institutions (3 credits)
- SPAN 635: Seminar in Don Quixote (3 credits)
- SPAN 650: Seminar in Twentieth-Century Drama (3 credits)
- SPAN 655: Seminar in Twentieth-Century Prose (3 credits)
- SPAN 670: Seminar in Spanish American Prose (3 credits)
- SPAN 675: Seminar in Literature and Art (3 credits)
- SPAN 680: Seminar in Literature and Society (3 credits)
- SPAN 685: Seminar in Literature and Ideas (3 credits)
- FRLN 575: Heritage Language Education (3 credits)
Note: *Courses may be substituted with advisor-approved language and literature-related electives.
Total: 30 credits
Program Exit Requirement
Professional Development Portfolio: A performance-based document that provides concrete evidence of teacher professional development throughout the ASTL program.