The Education Leadership Master's Program is dedicated to improving the quality of pre-K - 12 education through teaching, research, and service.
The 30-credit Master's degree is designed to fulfill Virginia requirements for licensure in Administration and Supervision PK-12, and is aligned with national standards for school building leaders. Applicants who already have a Master’s degree and a valid teachers’ license in Virginia may apply to the 24-credit Certificate option, which includes the first eight courses listed below.
Nomenclature on the SCHEV inventory is Leadership and Human Development, MEd. A name change proposal is in development. For more information on this degree, please contact Donna Martinez.
Education Leadership Master's Degree Coursework
Courses should be taken in the sequence listed below. Students must earn a B- or better in the first 8 courses listed.
- EDLE 620: Organizational Theory and Leadership (3 credits)
- EDLE 791: Internship in Educational Leadership (3 credits)
- EDLE 612: Education Law (3 credits)
- EDLE 614: Managing Financial and Human Resources (3 credits)
- EDLE 616: Curriculum Development and Evaluation (3 credits)
- EDLE 610: Leading Schools and Communities (3 credits)
- EDLE 636: Adult Motivation and Conflict Management in Education Settings: A Case Study Approach (3 credits)
Total credits: 30
This program has been identified by George Mason University as one that may lead to a career requiring professional licensure/certification. Federal regulations require Mason to disclose information as to whether this program meets/does not meet the educational requirements for licensure/certification in your state, or whether such a determination has not been made. Please consult our Licensure Disclosure Tool for the disclosure statement specific to your desired state/program combination.