Literacy/Reading Instruction Graduate Certificate - Reading Specialist K-12 Concentration
for graduate students!
Discount is 15% off the university's approved rate
CEHD out-of-state students
Discount is approximately 45% off the university's approved rate
The Reading Specialist (K-12) (RSPC) concentration is designed for teachers with at least one year of teaching experience who already have a master’s degree and want to develop the expertise needed to serve as a reading specialist or literacy leader.
You can complete your degree in as little as two years. Our online and hybrid program options provide the flexibility you need to make your goal a reality!
- How literacy develops across the lifespan.
- Research-based literacy instructional practices supportive of all students.
- Assessment strategies for individual and groups of students.
- Leadership skills needed to serve as a Reading Specialist.
Graduates can be eligible for the K-12 Reading Specialist endorsement in Virginia. Additional state licensure requirements include having an initial teaching license, earning a satisfactory score on the Reading for Virginia Educators: Reading Specialist exam, and having at least three years of teaching experience under contract by the completion of the degree program.
Hear what our graduates have to say about our programs!
- EDRD 630: Literacy Foundations and Instruction for Diverse Populations: Birth through Middle Childhood (3 credit hours)
- EDRD 631: Literacy Foundations and Instruction for Diverse Populations: Adolescence Through Adulthood (3 credit hours)
- EDRD 632: Literacy Assessments and Interventions for Groups (3 credit hours)
- EDRD 633: Literacy Assessments and Interventions for Individuals (3 credit hours) (*)
- EDRD 634: School-Based Leadership in Literacy (3 credit hours)
- EDRD 635: School-Based Inquiry in Literacy (3 credit hours)
- EDRD 637: Supervised Literacy Practicum (3 credit hours) (*)