Assessing for National Board is a great professional development opportunity, and an invaluable part of the National Board Certification process.
The College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) at George Mason University partners with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards to offer graduate credit to teachers who participate in the National Board Assessor program.
At Mason, NBPTS Assessors may receive graduate credit for their work. Experiences of participating in the NBPTS Assessor Training and subsequent assessments of entries to NBPTS provides educators the opportunity for professional growth and development intended to enhance their own teaching by reviewing innovative documents, observing other teachers via video taping of teaching episodes, and working collaboratively with other assessors.
Variable graduate credits are available depending on the number of hours documented for professional development participation:
- 2 credits - $330.00 (40-79 hours)
- 4 credits - $660.00 (80-119 hours)
- 6 credits - $990.00 (120+ hours)
To register at GMU for NB Assessor graduate credits, we must have:
- your completed enrollment form can be e-mailed to email@example.com.
- a copy of your Pearson certificate emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- payment of $330.00, $660.00 or $990.00 using TouchNet (link below). For National Board payments made by schools or other third party please contact our office at email@example.com to receive information about invoicing and third party billing.
- Enrollment deadlines are May 1st for spring, July 20th for summer, and December 1st for fall. Forms received after the deadline will be applied to the next semester.
Pay with credit card
Once all documentation is received, you will be formally registered for the graduate credit course. You will receive an email with news that the graduate credits have been awarded, and directions will be given at that time for how to download and/or print a transcript reflecting the credits. Please do not request a transcript until you have received confirmation of enrollment and your grade from George Mason University.
Questions relating to GMU graduate credit for the NBCT Assessor may be emailed
to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reprinted with permission from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, www.nbpts.org. All rights reserved.