Curriculum and Instruction, MEd Concentration in Early Childhood Education for Diverse Learners - Licensure
An early childhood education degree is a chance to learn about the specific tools that help a young child love learning, something that will benefit them the rest of their lives. The first five years of a child's life are pivotal to their long-term success.
This 30- to 36-credit concentration offers required coursework for teacher licensure in Early/Primary PreK-3. Students who have completed graduate or undergraduate coursework equivalent to concentration coursework prior to admission to this program may request that some courses in this concentration be waived. Students who are eligible to waive coursework must complete a minimum of 30 graduate-level credits to graduate. A grade of B- or better must be earned in all coursework.
In addition to the ECED concentration coursework, students must complete specific content area coursework in English, mathematics, science, and the social sciences as well as mandated state/accreditation assessments.
Curriculum and Instruction, MEd - Concentration in Early Childhood Education for Diverse Learners (Licensure)
Coursework (36 credits)
- ECED 502: Foundations of Language and Literacy for Diverse Prekindergarten and Kindergarten Learners (3 credits)
- ECED 511: Assessment of Diverse Young Learners (3 credits)
- ECED 512: Language and Literacy Assessment and Instruction for Diverse Primary Grade Learners (3 credits)
- ECED 513: Integrating Social Studies Across the Content Areas for Diverse Young Learners (3 credits)
- ECED 515: Mathematics for Diverse Young Learners (3 credits)
- ECED 516: Science for Diverse Young Learners (3 credits)
- ECED 781: Seminar in Early Childhood Education (3 credits)
Total: 36 credits
This program has been identified by George Mason University as one that may lead to a career requiring professional licensure/certification. Federal regulations require Mason to disclose information as to whether this program meets/does not meet the educational requirements for licensure/certification in your state, or whether such a determination has not been made. Please consult our Licensure Disclosure Tool for the disclosure statement specific to your desired state/program combination.