School of Education - George Mason University
Q: How do I find out more information about the Education Leadership program?
  • Please visit our Education Leadership website.
  • We strongly encourage students to attend an information session for a cohort of interest.
  • Our coordinators will address the admissions process and discuss the cohort program in detail. After the presentation, there will be an opportunity for students to ask individual questions.
Q: What do you need to apply?
  1. Go to:
    Apply to: Education Leadership, M.Ed. or Education Leadership, CERG
  2. Submit the following online:
    • 2-3 recommendations; you will be asked to enter email addresses for recommenders on the online application (we prefer the online recommendation form). Two recommendations must be from administrators who have supervised you in a school setting. 
    • Goal Statement (750 to 1000 words) stating your professional plans and career objectives.
    • Resume with your education, professional licenses/certification, and professional experience.
Q: What are the admission deadlines?

Please refer to Graduate Admissions Deadlines and Requirements for program specific information.

All admissions materials must be submitted to the admissions office for our office to schedule an admissions interview, which is the last step in the admissions process. The EDLE program office will contact you directly to schedule your interview. We recommend you submit your complete application by the priority deadlines.

Q: What are the requirements for admittance into the program?
  • A bachelor’s degree or greater from a regionally accredited institution with a 3.0 GPA in the last 60 credits of study. Check the list of regionally accredited schools at
  • Two years of documented, successful, full-time teaching experience in an accredited public or non-public school.
  • All applicants are required to attend an admissions interview. To be scheduled for an interview, you must complete the admissions application and submit all required information to the admissions office. We recommend you submit all materials by the listed priority deadline. The Education Leadership (EDLE) program office will contact you directly to schedule your interview.
Q: What is the difference between the EDLE Master's Degree, EDLE Graduate Certificate and EDLE Master's Concentration in Independent School Leadership?
  • The EDLE Master’s Degree (30 credits total; the 24 credits for the EDLE Graduate Certificate plus an additional 6 credits) is a program that allows candidates to earn an Master's degree in Education Leadership and pursue Administrative Licensure. The modes of delivery are online, hybrid (in person on campus and online), or hybrid in a regional cohort.
  • The EDLE Graduate Certificate (24 credits) is a program that allows candidates who already have a Master’s degree an option to pursue Administrative Licensure without pursuing an additional master’s degree. The modes of delivery are online, hybrid (in person on campus and online), or hybrid in a regional cohort.
  • The EDLE Master's Concentration in Independent School Leadership (30 credits) non-licensure program is taught fully online.
Q:  I already have a master's degree, should I apply for the EDLE Master’s Degree or the EDLE Graduate Certificate?
  • Candidates who apply to the EDLE Graduate Certificate program cannot ‘have a change of heart’ and decide at a later time to pursue the master’s degree option.
  • The EDLE Master’s Degree program offers the most flexibility. Example: If a candidate enrolled in the EDLE Master’s Degree program chooses to ONLY pursue Administrative Licensure and NOT an additional master’s degree, then they can withdraw from the master’s degree program and switch to the EDLE Graduate Certificate program.  The candidate must already hold a master’s degree to make this switch.
Q: May I make an appointment to see someone to discuss the program?
  • Have you attended an information session? We would advise you to first attend an information session. Our coordinator conducts these especially for individuals who are interested in the program and they are very thorough. You may ask individual questions after the presentation.
  • You may email our office at or call 703-993-3633 to discuss the program.
Q. When are the information sessions?
Q. Can I take Licensure classes before being admitted to the program?
  • Non-degree applicants may register for EDLE 620 Organizational Theory and Leadership if space is available. Non-degree applicants may not register for online EDLE courses.
  • After applying as a non-degree graduate student, wait for confirmation you have been accepted. Non-degree application dates are August 1, December 1 and May 1. Non-degree application information can be found at:
  • You may take only the first course in the sequence, EDLE 620 Organizational Theory and Leadership prior to being admitted into the program. To continue taking courses you will need to apply to the graduate program and be accepted.
Q: Can I transfer graduate credits into the EDLE Program?
  • Once a student is formally admitted into the EDLE master's degree program they can meet with their assigned advisor to review the course work they would like to transfer into the program. With advisor approval, up to 12 credits for the master's degree and up to 9 credits for licensure course work may be transferred from George Mason Non-degree or another accredited institution. Credits must be less than six years old from the time you are admitted into the EDLE program, at the graduate level, and graded (grade of B or better, no pass/fail, audit, school district professional development courses, etc.). There are courses such as the EDLE 791 Internship that cannot be transferred into the program. Students transferring credits for licensure coursework are often required to complete the Performance Based Assessments for the equivalent GMU course.
  • Please review the following University Policies for the Graduate Certificates:

    AP.6.8 Requirements for Graduate Certificates

    AP.6.5.3 Transfer of Credit

    There is a small caveat at the very end of AP.6.5.3 Transfer of Credit that states, “up to 3 credits previously applied to a degree program at another institution may be transferred into a certificate program at Mason.” The credits would still have to comply with all of the other criteria for transfer.

Q: I work full time. When are the classes offered? Can I attend part time?
  • Courses are offered in the late afternoon/evening Monday-Thursday in fall & spring on the Fairfax campus every other week, and online on alternating weeks. In the summer they are offered Monday-Friday in the evening and some Saturdays 9am to noon, also alternating with online.
  • Off-site regional cohort courses are offered in the late afternoon/evening Monday-Thursday. They are taught in a hybrid model of face-to-face and online instruction. 
  • Our online courses are fully online; they are taught in an asynchronous format with classes on a set cohort schedule.
  • On average, students take 1-2 courses per semester.
Q: What is the difference between hybrid, cohort and online program options?
  • The content of the courses is exactly the same.
  • Cohort classes are on a set schedule and classes meet at an off-site location, such as a local high school. Students are locked into a 15-20% tuition discount based on the enrollment in the cohort. Classes are taught in a hybrid format of face-to-face and online instruction.
  • Hybrid students have more flexibility in terms of when they take their classes and in what order. All hybrid classes are held at the Fairfax campus when in person and online on alternating weeks.
  • The fully online program is taught in an asynchronous format with classes on a set cohort schedule. 
Q: I plan to be a full time student. What are my funding options?
Q: How long does it take to complete the program?
  • Due to the internship requirements, students usually finish the program within 18-24 months.
Q: How long does it take to complete the internship?
  • No less than 12 months and no longer than 24 months. Students will complete a majority of their internship hours at the school where they are employed.
Q: Do you offer online classes?