Field Experience and Student Teaching
Field experiences are designed to provide hands on learning experiences from Elementary through Secondary Education and are spread out over the course of the program.
By your second semester at Mason you will already have the opportunity and skill set to teach a lesson at the Elementary level.
These experiences occur in the school systems and you will have to be cleared by them in advance.*
In addition to the required experiences, PHED students are encouraged to seek volunteer or paid experiences in the field throughout their time at Mason.
Inquiries about student teaching should be directed to Ms. Luanne Norden, the Student Teaching Coordinator at email@example.com or 703-993-2032.
Eligibility to Student Teach
- GPA of 2.5 in the area: Physical Education Major (BSED).
- C or better in HEAL 405, PHED 308, 403, and 404
- Satisfactory completion of all required general education and professional concentration courses.
- Submit Praxis Core Math (5732/5733) or SAT/ACT Math scores. No minimum score required. Emergency First Aid, CPR and Use of AED Certification or Training with “hands-on” component. Recommended training: American Red Cross or American Heart Association.
- Submit to a background check run by our school agencies and partners*
Procedure to Student Teach
- Complete the Application for Student Teaching a semester prior to taking PHED 415.
- You will be notified of your placements at the end of the semester.
Student Teaching Forms
- Application for Student Teaching
- Teacher Candidate Bi-Weekly Progress Report
- Teacher Candidate Observation/Evaluation Report
- Teacher Candidate Log of Hours
- Evaluation of Intern
*Note: This program requires multiple field experiences. Our school and agency partners require Mason students to be fingerprinted and pass a criminal background check prior to field experience work. Students must assume the risk that classes may be deferred and their program delayed due to the individual severity of notations on such a check and review by individual agencies.
Students are strongly advised to disclose any/all legal incidents that may appear on their records. While fully disclosing any/all incidents does not guarantee placement, failing to do so, whether or not such incidents resulted in conviction, may cause denial of placement for field experience or internship throughout the school division. Individuals with misdemeanor(s) on their record may be denied access.