Curriculum and Instruction, MEd Concentration in ASTL: French
Speaking a foreign language improves the functionality of your brain by challenging it to recognize, negotiate meaning, and communicate in different language systems.
The French concentration provides advanced professional development and language study for practicing foreign language teachers. The 18 credits include a combination of modern language courses and targeted electives.
The ASTL concentrations are for teachers and other educators with one or more years of teaching or education-related experience who want to continue to grow professionally. The program offers advanced study in a specific concentration area, including Virginia's Standards of Learning content areas, cohort classes, an innovative schedule, and the use of technology. The courses, aligned with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, help teachers think and practice as board-certified teachers. The program develops teacher-leaders who practice reflection through action-research, problem-based learning, and self-inquiry, and teacher expertise in a concentration that will identify the teacher as a potential leader in that area.
Core Courses (12 credits)
- EDUC 606: Education and Culture (3 credits)
- EDUC 612: Inquiry into Practice (2 credits)
- EDUC 613: How Students Learn (3 credits)
- EDUC 614: Designing and Assessing Teaching and Learning (2 credits)
- EDUC 615: Educational Change (2 credits)
Concentration Courses in French (18 credits)
Choose two courses (six credits) from the following that cover two different chronological periods or Francophone regions in consultation with an advisor:
- FREN 550: Special Topics (3 credits)
Note: * Courses may be substituted with advisor-approved literature-related electives in French.
Language and Linguistics
Choose two courses (six credits) from the following in consultation with an advisor:
- FREN 562: Stylistics (3 credits)
- FREN 563: History of the French Language (3 credits)
- FREN 564: Advanced Translation (3 credits)
- FREN 570: French and Francophone Cinema (3 credits)
- FREN 575: Grammatical Analysis (3 credits)
Electives (6 credits)
Choose two additional courses (six credits) from the aforementioned literature courses, aforementioned language and linguistics courses, or from the courses below in consultation with an advisor
- FRLN 525: Literary Translation (3 credits)
- FRLN 550: Special Topics (3 credits)
- FRLN 565: Theory of Translation (3 credits)
- FRLN 573: Basic Issues in Language Pedagogy (3 credits)
- FRLN 575: Heritage Language Education (3 credits)
- FRLN 590: Internship and Seminar in Translation (3 credits)
- FRLN 620: Literary Theory and Criticism (3 credits)
- FRLN 660: Approaches to the Study of Language (3 credits)
Note: ** Courses may be substituted with advisor-approved language and literature-related electives.
Total: 30 credits
Program Exit Requirement
Professional Development Portfolio: A performance-based document that provides concrete evidence of teacher professional development throughout the ASTL program.