Curriculum and Instruction, MEd Concentration in ASTL: Teacher Leadership
The Teacher Leadership concentration provides advanced professional development in school leadership for teachers who are passionate about teaching and who want to lead colleagues from their classrooms, not leave their classrooms.
Designed for teachers and other educators with one or more years of teaching or education-related experience who want to continue to grow professionally, the coursework in this concentration focuses on teachers as leaders of their classrooms, teams, departments, schools, and profession.
The Teacher Leadership concentration helps develop teacher leaders who understand the organizational complexity of schools, the dynamics of teacher learning and change, and who can use data to reveal greater learning opportunities for both students and teachers within their school.
The ASTL program is aligned with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards to help teachers think and practice like highly skilled and reflective board certified professionals.
Experienced teachers with or without a master's degree may apply for the ASTL: Teacher Leadership Master's Degree program, which includes 18 credits in the Concentration area and 12 credits in the education Core.
Core Courses (12 credits)
- EDUC 606: Education and Culture (3 credits)
- EDUC 612: Inquiry into Practice (2 credits)
- EDUC 613: How Students Learn (3 credits)
- EDUC 614: Designing and Assessing Teaching and Learning (2 credits)
- EDUC 615: Educational Change (2 credits)
Concentration Courses (18 credits)
- EDLE 610: Leading Schools and Communities (3 credits)
- EDLE 620: Organizational Theory and Leadership (3 credits)
- EDLE 636: Adult Motivation and Conflict Management in Education Settings: A Case Study Approach (3 credits)
- EDEP 591: Data-Driven Decision Making for Continuous Educational Improvement (3 credits) OR EDLE 618: Supervision and Evaluation of Instruction (3 credits)
Total: 30 credits
Program Exit Requirement
Professional Development Portfolio: A performance-based document that provides concrete evidence of teacher professional development throughout the ASTL program.