Application to the Major
Let us help you prepare for Praxis testing. We offer workshops throughout the year.
Undergraduate students are considered pre-Elementary Education (BPRE) until they meet certain criteria, complete the application to the major, and receive official admission.
Once admitted, they will be officially Elementary Education majors in BSEd status. At the time of application to the major, students must have completed or be in the process of completing all eligibility requirements. A student who attends full-time and follows the recommended academic plan should be ready to apply to the major during the spring semester of their sophomore year.
- Complete all BPRE coursework with at least a B- or better in each class: EDUC 200, EDUC 301, ELED 342, ELED 357 and ELED 358
- Be within 9 credits of completing the Mason Core (excluding the synthesis/capstone requirement)
- Attempt the Praxis Core Exam (or a qualifying substitute)
- Complete an official endorsement review
- Achieve and maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher
- Degree evaluation from Patriot Web
Instructions on how to access the degree evaluation can be found on the Registrar’s website. For a PDF version, click on the “Save as PDF” button near the top center of the evaluation.
- Official Endorsement Review
This is a multi-step process that begins online and requires an in-person meeting with Mary Slone-O’Neill, the Endorsement Specialist. Ideally, students begin this process in their first year.
Write a 2-page essay (typed, double-spaced, 12-point font, 1-inch margins) describing your experiences working with children, your career goals in education, and a reflection on your professional or volunteer experiences.
- Recommended: Unofficial copies of Praxis Core exam scores or qualifying substitute Students must have attempted this exam or a qualifying substitute (no minimum score required) by the internship application deadline during their junior year. It’s recommended to have this completed at the time of application to the major. For information about the exam and what can count as a qualifying substitute, visit the CEHD Virginia Test Requirements webpage.
Application ProcessStudents must complete the online Application to the BSED in Elementary Education and submit it along with the required supporting documents by the priority deadline of April 1st. Applications will continue to be considered through August 1st. All supporting documents should be uploaded to the online application as a word or PDF file:
Decisions will be made after spring grades have posted, and students will be notified through their Mason email account. Any BPRE courses in progress at the time of application must be complete by the end of that spring with a B- or better, and the cumulative GPA must be at least a 2.5.
Once admitted to BSEd status, students complete the program as a cohort, enrolling in ELED courses full-time each fall and spring. The coursework will include field experience hours that must be completed within a PDS school site assigned by the program. Students complete a year-long internship in their final year in addition to upper-level ELED coursework. A new cohort begins each fall.