Skip top navigation
School of Education - George Mason University

Applying for Licensure

**We are aware that VDOE has published an online licensure application system. If you are applying for initial licensure through GMU, please continue to follow the instructions below for the paper application process. If you are electing to pay online, please follow the instructions below to register for an eGov account and pay through eGov.**

Applying for initial licensure — paper application

For detailed application instructions, including screenshots and examples, please view this power point presentation.

If you currently do not hold a valid Virginia teaching license and are not working as a full-time, contractual teacher with a VA school district, please provide the Mason Licensure Coordinator with a completed licensure application packet which includes the following:

  1. Licensure Application Fee: $100 if you list a VA address or $150 if you list an out-of state-address. Make checks payable to The Treasurer of Virginia.
    Checks must be dated within 60 days of when the fee is received by the Virginia Department of Education. Licensure fee may also be paid online. Please see the VDOE’s instructions linked here in the “Licensure Fee Online Payment Option” section of the website (if you pay online please include a copy of your payment receipt in the licensure application packet).
  2. Initial Licensure Application Form: Complete both pages of the application and part 1 only of the College Verification Form.
  3. Official transcripts: transcripts from all universities attended, INCLUDING George Mason University, which must be provided in sealed envelope(s) directly from the institution(s), or emailed directly to us at, from the institution(s). To order official transcripts from George Mason University, click here. Graduates of a foreign institution of higher education may provide a copy of their evaluation completed by a VDOE-approved agency.
  4. Behavior Intervention and Support Training: Please save and print the completion certificate at the end of the modules.
  5. Child Abuse and Neglect Recognizing, Reporting, and Responding Training (Required for all applicants): complete the free online module from the Virginia Department of Social Services and print a copy of your certificate.
  6. Dyslexia Awareness Module (Required for all applicants): complete this free only module from the Virginia Department of Education and print a copy of your certificate.
  7. Cultural competency: As of July 1, 2023, VDOE requires that each person seeking initial licensure or renewal of a license shall complete instruction or training in cultural competency. If you are a current GMU student enrolled in CEHD, then the cultural competency requirement might be fulfilled through your coursework requirements; please check with your program to ensure that this requirement would be covered in one of your courses. For those who are not current CEHD students, VDOE has published a cultural competency training module that can be accessed on the VDOE website.
  8. Required test scores*: Submit original or copies of all testing requirements for your program, which may include VCLA scores, Praxis II scores, Praxis Teaching Reading: Elementary scores (or RVE prior to 9/1/22), or Praxis Reading Specialist scores. Please review the Professional Assessments Requirements guidance from the VDOE to ensure you are taking the correct exams.
  9. Copy of American Red Cross or American Heart Association certificate for CPR/AED/Emergency First Aid.
  10. A self-addressed and stamped envelope (approximate size 9.5 in x 4.25 in) – the envelope will be used to mail a copy to you, for your records, of the completed College Verification form and a letter stating when your licensure application was mailed to VDOE.

Please view the initial licensure checklist while putting together your packet to ensure you have ALL REQUIRED ELEMENTS.

* Students MUST submit photocopies or original test score reports. The Licensure Coordinator cannot obtain these scores from ANY Mason records.*

Adding an endorsement – not working with a school district

If you do currently hold a valid VA teaching license and are not currently working with a VA school district, please provide the Mason Licensure Coordinator with the following:

  1. Addition of endorsement fee - $50 (checks written to The Treasurer of Virginia).
  2. A written memo to the VDOE requesting that the new endorsement be added to your current license.
  3. Official Transcripts (from Mason)
  4. Licensure Application
  5. College Verification Form (complete part I only, but be sure that your full address is listed).
  6. Praxis II scores (if applicable)
    • Reading Specialist Add-On
      • Current test is 5302 Praxis Reading Specialist (as of 9/1/2022)
      • Older version is 5304 Praxis Series reading for Virginia Educators (RVE): Reading Specialist Assessment (taken before 9/1/2022)
    • Education Leadership Administration/Supervision Add-On
      • Current test is 6990 School Leaders Licensure Assessment (as of 1/1/2020)
      • Older version is 6011 School Leaders Licensure Assessment (taken before 1/1/2020)

*Students MUST submit photocopies or original test score reports. The Licensure Coordinator cannot obtain these scores from other files on campus such as degree program files or internship files.

Please view the adding an endorsement checklist while putting together your packet to ensure you have ALL REQUIRED ELEMENTS.

College Verification Form

A college verification form will be required if you are working with a school district to apply for initial licensure, add an endorsement to a current license, or apply for a provisional license. Please follow the steps below.

  1. College Verification Form: complete part I only and leave the rest of the form BLANK. Please be sure that your full address is listed. Please do not include your SSN (you can add this in when the form is returned to you).
  2. You must be sure that ALL licensure grades have been posted prior to submitting your CVF.
  3. Please email your college verification form with part 1 completed to
  4. The college verification form will be sent back to you.
  5. If you are applying for licensure through your school district, you will then submit the completed CVF form and the other required licensure materials to your school district's licensure representative. They will then submit the application on your behalf.

**Special Education - all waivers must be processed and reflected in the University system prior to submission of the CVF.

***Education Leadership - if you did not receive your master's degree from Mason, please submit a photocopy of your master's transcripts along with your College Verification Form. If you did receive your master's from Mason, please be sure that your degree date has posted prior to submitting the form.

Please view the college verification form checklist to ensure you have filled out the form yet correctly.


All of the above forms can be downloaded here.

You must submit a complete packet. If your application is missing any required document, it will be returned to you!

Please submit the requested documents to the following address:

George Mason University
Attn: Licensure
4400 University Dr., MSN 6C13
Thompson Hall, Room 2204
Fairfax, VA 22030

Packets must be originals and may not be faxed.

For questions about your licensure packet, please email