Content Area Review
What is a Content Area Review?
If you choose a teacher preparation program in certain areas (listed below), you will need to complete a Content Area Review.
Most programs require a Content Area Review prior to application. You can meet with the Content Area Advisor even before you are a student at Mason.
The Content Area Review, sometimes called Endorsement Review, is an assessment by a specially trained advisor to determine if you satisfy the prerequisite requirements for entering a teacher licensure program. If you haven’t met all the requirements yet, the Content Area Advisor can help you find the classes you need to take to get there.
If you need to complete a Content Area Review (also called Endorsement Review), your first step will be to create an online account where you enter all your previous course work and to send in your transcripts for review. It can take about two weeks for the Content Area Advisor to review your materials. After your review is complete, you’ll meet with the Content Area Advisor to go over your content area coursework and make a plan for meeting the prerequisite requirements for your program.
A content/endorsement review is required for admission to the following:
- Secondary Education (History/Social Sciences, English, Science, Mathematics, Computer Science)
- Elementary Education PK-6
- Early Childhood Education PK-3
- International Education: Elementary PK-6
- International ESOL PK-12 graduate certificate
- ESOL for Practitioners graduate certificate
- Foreign Language education graduate certificate
- Theatre Education*
- Art Education**
- Music Education
*Note to applicants interested in Theatre: following notification of the initial content area review, please contact the Theatre Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an advising appointment.
**Note to applicants interested in Art Education: following notification of the initial content area review, please contact the Graduate Art Education office at email@example.com to schedule an advising appointment.
Please note that ALL content area course work must be completed, with all transcripts submitted and approved by the Content Area Advisor, prior to the internship application deadline. Since the internship application must be submitted in the semester prior to the actual internship, please meet with the Content Area Advisor and plan the completion of these requirements accordingly.
Steps for Requesting an Initial Content Area/Endorsement Review
Step 1: Create an account
- Click My Account.
- Next, select the link labeled “Create a new account” and enter all biographical information. Hotmail email addresses have issues with this system; please use another service.
Step 2: Select a worksheet
- After your account is created, click the “Form Selection” link to select the licensure area (i.e., what you wish to teach). Biographical information will automatically populate on the worksheet selected.
Step 3: Enter required course information
- Click "Add Course.”
- Please enter the minimum number of courses required. The Content Area Advisor conducts a course-by-course review and may add course work deemed appropriate.
- Following the model, enter the course department/number and course title (as it appears on the transcript of the originating institution), semester credits earned, and the end date for each course.
- Enter the official course description from the course catalog. (This is crucial to avoid delays in the consideration of course work for approval.)
- Please note that courses taken on a pass-fail or no-credit basis will not be considered.
Step 4: Submit transcripts
- Everyone (including transfers from Northern Virginia Community College and Mason students) must submit legible copies from ALL institutions attended (unofficial copies are fine), showing courses completed with grades.
- Please include the cover sheet. (If you are not a Mason student, please disregard the G#.)
- You will not need to include a copy of the actual content review worksheet.
- Transcripts may be submitted via U.S. mail, email, or fax (contact info below).
- Please be advised that the initial review may take up to two weeks for processing once all documents have been received by our office.
Step 5: Create a plan after your initial Content Area Review
- You will receive an email from the Content Area Review system; please sign in to see the Reviewed Worksheet.
- Schedule an appointment with the Content Area Advisor to discuss options to fulfill any remaining requirements and approve a plan of study to complete these credits. It is the responsibility of the student to make this appointment.
- ALL further content course work/CLEP exams must be PRE-APPROVED by the Content Area Advisor and taken at a college/university recognized by a regional accreditation agency.
- Update your worksheet on a semester basis until requirements are met.
- Please note that individuals applying to the PK-6 and Secondary programs MUST be within nine credits of completing requirements before entering the desired program. At the graduate level, this means starting your master's program. At the undergraduate level, this means moving into BSEd status, adding your concentration, or adding an undergraduate certificate. If you are not within nine credits when you apply to the program, a plan must be approved by the Content Area Advisor and indicated on the worksheet prior to application for admission.
- If you are submitting an application for a graduate program, you MUST include your Content Area Review with your Graduate Application. This is a very important step. Please either upload your Reviewed Worksheet to your online application or submit your review to the Admissions Office. If you are in an undergraduate program, share your Content Area Review with your academic advisor.
- All Content Area course work must be complete for every student at the time of application for internship; no exceptions will be made.
Steps for Requesting an Update to Content Area Review
Step 1: Log on to your account
- Click My Account and sign in.
- Click on your Content Area Review worksheet.
Step 2: Add pre-approved course work to the online worksheet
- Follow the instructions from STEP 3 of the Initial Content Area/Endorsement review.
Step 3: Submit transcripts
- Follow the instructions from STEP 4 of the Initial Content Area/Endorsement review.
- The most expedient way to submit transcripts for an update is as an attachment to an email.
- Please expect a processing time of up to two weeks during peak periods.
- Begin the process early.
- Update every semester while working to complete requirements.
- After the initial Content Area/Endorsement review, courses must be pre-approved.
- C or better in all course work is required in order to be approved.
- Never self-advise.
Content Area Advisor
4400 University Dr. MS 4B4
Thompson Hall, Suite 2300
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: (703) 993-2892
This internal review is used solely as a component of the programs offered by George Mason University. If you choose not to complete a Mason program, transfer to another institution, or attempt to become hired under provisional licensure, you will be subject to a new review by that institution, school division, or by the Virginia Department of Education.
To begin, click the "My Account" link here or to the left.