Curriculum and Instruction, MEd - Concentration in Secondary Education Biology
Let us help you prepare for Praxis testing. We offer workshops throughout the year.
Life is all around us, in beauty and abundance, and the people who introduce students to how life forms live and interact are biology teachers. Teachers help develop the next generation of doctors, nurses, life scientists, and engineers. Their enthusiasm and appreciation for all life helps students understand how life forms are all connected to each other and to their environments.
Licensure Course Work (23 credits)
Course work meets licensure and master's degree requirements.
- EDUC 522: Foundations of Secondary Education (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 573: Teaching Science in the Secondary School (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 672: Human Development and Learning: Secondary Education (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 673: Advanced Methods of Teaching Science in the Secondary School (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 790: Internship in Education (1-6 credit hours) (Co-requisite: EDCI 791. Must register for 6 credits)
- EDRD 619: Literacy in Content Areas (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 791: Internship Seminar in Secondary Teaching (2 credit hours) (Co-requisite: EDCI 790)
Completion of MEd Degree (12 credits)
An additional 12 credits are required for completion of the Master of Education (MEd) in Curriculum and Instruction degree and must be completed within six years of admission to the program.
- EDUC 675: Research in Secondary Education (3 credit hours)
*Choose 9 credits from the following:
- EDCI 671: Innovations in Science Teaching (3 credit hours)
- EDEP 551: Principles of Learner Motivation (3 credit hours)
- EDEP 653: Culture and Intelligence (3 credit hours)
- EDIT 504: Introduction to Educational Technology (3 credit hours)
- EDSE 501: Introduction to Special Education (3 credit hours)
- EDSE 502: Classroom Management and Applied Behavior Analysis (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 547: Scientific Inquiry and the Nature of Science (3 credit hours)
Note: *Other electives may be considered with advisor approval.