Skip top navigation
School of Education - George Mason University

Learn more about beginning to earn a master's degree and English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Education PK-12 Teaching Licensure while you are an undergraduate student.

This opportunity is available to undergraduate students in any major. Speak to an advisor today!

This Bachelor’s Accelerated Master’s (BAM) is designed for academically strong undergraduates (minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA) currently enrolled at George Mason University with an interest in pursuing an MEd in Curriculum and Instruction with a Concentration in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Education (PK-12 Licensure) within an accelerated time frame.

Beginning in Fall 2021, students may apply for the Bachelor’s Accelerated Master’s program during the first semester junior year (the semester in which they will have earned at least 60 semester hours) and once any prerequisites have been met. Students must have a minimum of 75 credit hours to begin the BAM.

Beginning in Fall 2021, accepted BAM undergraduate students may take a maximum of 18 credits of graduate coursework with 12 credits/18 credits counting toward both undergraduate and graduate degrees.

Start Your Application Process Today!

To begin the application process, create an account, and initiate a Content Area Review (Endorsement Account), connect with a Teacher Educator Advisor today. The Undergraduate Pre-Education Advisor and Pre-Education Advising Coordinators can share all the information that you need about the BAM opportunity as well as how to complete the application process.

MEd Program and Licensure Requirements

In addition to standard requirements, students interested in an MEd in Curriculum and Instruction with a Concentration in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)Education (PK-12 Licensure) must fulfill the following requirements:

  1. An official CEHD Content Area (Endorsement) Review must be completed and reflect the following: six credits of a foreign language.
  2. If accepted and having completed at least 120 credits and all requirements for a BA in any degree, students are awarded a bachelor’s degree and admitted to the MEd in Curriculum and Instruction with a Concentration in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Education (PK-12 Licensure). Accelerated master’s students must then fulfill all endorsement requirements, submit their official passing Praxis Core Math (or SAT/ACT as sub), and submit their passing Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) scores, AND pass the Praxis Subject Assessment in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) prior to internship.

Bachelor’s Degree (any)/Curriculum and Instruction, Accelerated MEd (English to Speakers of Other Languages PK-12 Licensure Concentration)

Note: This is a sample schedule of courses. Mapping your course schedule depends on your bachelor’s degree. Please work closely with the Undergraduate Pre-Education Advisor.

Both capstone courses (EDCI 776 and EDCI 777) should be done while working in new position and can be taken online.

NOTE: Beginning the BAM after spring semester junior year and/or not taking the recommended courses each semester will result in extended time for completion as all courses may not be offered each semester.

Licensure Disclosure

This program has been identified by George Mason University as one that may lead to a career requiring professional licensure/certification. Federal regulations require Mason to disclose information as to whether this program meets/does not meet the educational requirements for licensure/certification in your state, or whether such a determination has not been made. Please consult our Licensure Disclosure Tool for the disclosure statement specific to your desired state/program combination.

George Mason University will verify completion of the requirements of a Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) state-approved preparation program at the graduate or undergraduate level. Such verification does not guarantee the issuance of a Virginia Collegiate Professional, Postgraduate Professional, or Pupil Personnel license from the Commonwealth of Virginia. It is solely the student's responsibility to comply with all requirements for licensure by the Commonwealth. Under Virginia law, a social security number is required for licensure.