PDS Year Long Internship Cohort *Fall Start Option
Let us help you prepare for Praxis testing. We offer workshops throughout the year.
As an elementary school teacher, you help students learn and develop in ways that will serve them for the rest of their lives!
The M.Ed in Curriculum and Instruction, Elementary Education Concentration Program provides professionals with the specialized knowledge, skills, and dispositions needed to meet the educational needs of students attending today's elementary schools. The program includes Pre-Kindergarten-6th grade initial licensure and is situated within Professional Development Schools (PDS) in the Mason Elementary Education PDS Network. Our PDS model supports an inquiry stance and fosters critical thinking and problem-solving among elementary students, parents, in-service teachers, school/division administrators, pre-service teachers, and university/school faculty. This 39 credit hour program is aligned with the college’s five core values of collaboration, ethical leadership, innovation, research-based practice, and social justice. Students may choose from start dates in the fall, spring, and summer semesters. All programs are sequenced and follow a cohort model.
Professional Development Schools (PDS) Year-Long Internship Program
Semester Start: Begins every fall
Application Deadline: April 1st
Initial Licensure and MEd Program: 39 credits
Field Experiences:Almost all course work has associated field experience hours that must be completed during the school day in a PDS Network school (15-30 field hours per semester, except during internship semesters). These are typically completed in 10 three-hour blocks across the semester.
PDS Year-Long Internship Cohort (Fall Start) Sample Sequence
Below is an example of a course sequence for the Year-Long Internship Cohort. Exact sequencing is subject to change; students must follow guidance from the program regarding course scheduling for their cohort.
Fall Term (day or evening classes)*Courses taken with Semester Long Cohort
- ELED 542: Foundations of Elementary Education (3 credit hours)
- ELED 543: Children, Family, Culture, and Schools, ages 4-12 Years (3 credit hours)
Spring Term (day or evening classes)*Join Year Long Cohort for remainder of the program
- ELED 544: Introduction to Elementary Methods and Management (3 credit hours)
Summer Term (classes during the day starting in mid May)
- ELED 553: Science Methods for the Elementary Classroom (3 credit hours)
- ELED 554: Methods of Teaching Social Studies and Integrating Fine Arts in the Elementary Classroom (3 credit hours)
- ELED 545: Differentiating Elementary Methods and Management (3 credit hours)
Fall Term (Four days in schools, one day in classes at Mason campus)
- ELED 790: Internship in Elementary Education (1 - 6 credit hours) (Must register for 3 credits)
- ELED 552: Mathematics Methods for the Elementary Classroom (3 credit hours)
- ELED 556: Literacy Teaching and Learning in Diverse Elementary Classrooms II (3 credit hours)
Spring/Summer Term (five days a week/classes and internship work)
- ELED 790: Internship in Elementary Education (1 - 6 credit hours) (Must register for 6 credits)
- ELED 559: Research and Assessment in Elementary Education (Must register for 3 credits )