PhD International Education / Education Leadership Specialization
- Register: PhD in Education program information session — 6/6/2023, 4:30pm - 5:30pm — Virtual
An overview of the PhD in Education program followed by breakout sessions in the following specializations: Education Leadership, Educational Psychology, Multilingual/Multicultural Education, Literacy(ies), Culture, & Reading, and Learning Technology Design Research.
The PhD in Education specialization in international education and education leadership (IEEL) is a unique opportunity for international school professionals to complete a PhD in a specialized cohort program that includes online and summer face-to-face classes. Cohort recruitment occurs biannually.
If you have questions about this specialization, please contact the specialization representative, April Mattix Foster.
About the Specialization
The focus for this joint specialization is on teacher leaders, early administrators, and others interested in international schools both locally and globally. Courses are designed to help aspiring leaders in the international school community earn a PhD. Students will engage in doctoral studies at one of the highest-ranking research institutions in the United States of America.
Participation in the IEEL Specialization will ensure that your coursework is complete over three years (three summers and six semesters). Once students advance to candidacy they have four years to complete their doctoral dissertation. Cohort applicants should have a minimum of 3 years of teaching and/or leadership experience in educational settings, or equivalent leadership experience.
The following courses are required:
International Education (IE) courses:
- EDUC 815: Research Inquiries in International Education (3 credits)
- EDUC 878: Intercultural Competence: Theory and Research Application to International Education (3 credits)
- EDUC 880: Introduction to International Education (3 credits)
- EDUC 892: Social Justice and Equity in International Education (3 credits)
Education Leadership (EL) courses:
- EDLE 801: Contemporary Organization Theory (3 credits)
- EDLE 802: Leadership and Decision Making (3 credits)
- EDLE 816: Instructional Leadership-Curriculum Policy and Practice (3 credits)
- EDLE 818: Instructional Leadership-Supervision Policy and Practice (3 credits)
Internship and Independent Study:
- EDUC 994: Advanced Internship in Education (3 credits)
- EDUC 897: Independent Study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Education (1-6 credits)
See additional coursework required as part of the PhD in Education degree.