VI Consortium Application Process
STEP 1: MAKE INITIAL CONTACT WITH THE VI CONSORTIUM TO DETERMINE YOUR PROGRAM OF STUDY
- For general questions about the VI Consortium program and courses, please contact Dr. Kimberly Avila, Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-993-5625.
- For advising and specific questions about the application process, enrollment, and tuition information at one of the participating universities, contact the VI Consortium liaison at your participating university .
STEP 2: APPLY TO ONE OF THE FIVE UNIVERSITY PROGRAMS
- Steps 2 and 3 can be done simultaneously but you must be admitted into one of the five university programs to be considered for the VI Consortium.
- Please note that application procedures for each university vary. To apply to the VI Consortium, individuals must follow the guidelines for their specific university.
For application information for each university click on one of the following links:
- Apply through Radford's College of Graduate and Professional Studies.
- Please contact Dr. Elizabeth Altieri with questions.
Apply to the Special Education program. You will find a link to the online application as well as a guideline for applying here.
You may apply just to the certificate or to the Master's in Special Education. You may use the certificate coursework to fulfill the elective requirements for the Master's degree in Special Education. Since you must complete a certain percentage of coursework after being admitted to the Master's program, we encourage you to apply to the Master's degree initially and then add the certificate program to your record after acceptance in the Master's program. Students have 6 years to complete their Master's degree following admission so even if students don't want to complete the M.Ed. now, it will leave the option open to you. Instructions for adding a certificate program are included in the acceptance letter.
If you already hold a teaching license in another field of special education you may be able to waive some of the requirements. Please contact Special Education Program for more information.
- For coursework only, apply to JMU Outreach and Engagement. There is a $20 registration fee required each semester regardless of the number of courses taken in a given semester. Following completion of coursework and required experience, candidates may be recommended for licensure by their school division.
- For the M.A.T. degree program and licensure in VI, apply through the Graduate School to the post-baccalaureate program with a concentration in vision impairment. In addition to Graduate School application materials, which include acceptable Praxis 1 and/or GRE scores, the program requires:
- 2 letters of reference,
- a statement of intent, and
- a professional resume.
- Please contact Dr. Dannette Bronaugh with questions.
STEP 3: APPLY TO THE VI CONSORTIUM
Complete the on-line VI Consortium application. To access the on-line form, please follow this here.
STEP 4: APPLICATION FOLLOW-UP
It is recommended that you follow-up with the faculty liaison as well as the admissions department for your participating university to ensure that all necessary paperwork has been received.